Ross Castle was built in 1590 by Robert Martin whose family was one of the “Tribes” from Galway City. He was the first of the tribes to build a home outside the walls of the city and it became known as “The ancient home of the Martins of Ross”. In 1770 a fire destroyed much of the interior of the castle as well as the roof. A Georgian roof replaced the original one but the outside walls remained intact and are from 1590. In the 1770s a wing was added to the castle which housed the stables, couches and living quarters for staff. The other buildings in the courtyard which is square shaped were built in 1590 and 1670.
In 1985 t .... Continue Reading >>
- Castles in Galway
- Comments Off